Happy Saturday Friends!
Another holiday in quarantine is upon us, likely making it a different celebration than normal. Last year for Mother’s Day weekend, I surprised my mom by flying out to St. Louis. She had no idea and her reaction is still one of my favorite things ever! I had hoped to visit again this year, but a Zoom Mother’s Day will have to do for now. I know I am not alone in that boat, but I believe soon enough, we will all get to see our loved ones again and can make up for lost time.
In my family, we love a good brunch, and Mother’s Day is no exception. Today I wanted to share some of my favorite brunch recipes that would be easy to put together for tomorrow or for any time you’re craving a yummy breakfast meal!
Cinnamon rolls have always been a brunch staple in my family. Before my grandma passed, she made these for every occasion and they were always the biggest hit! Since then, I have taken over making them for friends, family, and coworkers alike. The recipe is simple and truly makes THE BEST cinnamon rolls you’ve ever had!
-1.5 cups of milk (use at least 2% milk. Do NOT use skim or fat free)
-2 tsp of salt
-1/2 cup of sugar
-1/2 cup of butter
-2 packages of yeast
-1/2 cup of warm water
-6 cups of flour
-4 oz of cream cheese
-1 stick of butter
-1 cup of powdered sugar
-1/2 tsp of vanilla
- In a small pot, scald the milk.
- Once milk starts to boil, immediately take it off the heat and add butter, salt, and sugar.
- While the butter melts in the milk, add yeast to a large bowl with the warm warm. Mix together and let sit for 5 minutes.
- After five minutes, pour the milk mixture into the yeast and add eggs.
- After mixing in the eggs, slowly add flour (I typically add 2 cups of flour at a time and mix in-between).
- Once flour is fully combined, cover and let rise for 1-2 hours.
- Once it has doubled in size, roll out until it is flat. Don’t roll too thin though, it should be at least half an inch thick.
- Once it is rolled out, melt butter (typically I use about half a stick, but feel free to use more or less) and brush onto dough.
- Cover the dough with brown sugar and cinnamon (use as much or as little as you like)
- Carefully roll dough and cut into 1-2 in slices. Place rolls into your pan, cover, and let rise for at least another hour. I typically will have them rise overnight. This makes them HUGE and super fluffy.
- When you are ready to cook, heat your oven to 350 degrees and then cook for 20 minutes or until golden brown. (Time may vary based on oven)
- As the rolls bake, make your frosting. Combine cream cheese, 1 stick of butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla (feel free to add more sugar or vanilla for a sweeter frosting).
- Immediately after your rolls come out of the oven, frost them and enjoy!
Mini Blueberry Coffee Cakes
-2 cups of flour
-1/2 cup of sugar
-2 tsp of baking powder
-1/2 cup of heavy cream
-1/4 cup of butter
-1 stick of butter
-1/2 half cup of rolled oats
-1/2 cup of brown sugar
-1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- In a bowl or stand mixer, combine all dry ingredients
- Add cream and slowly start mixing.
- Add egg and butter and continue to mix
- Once everything is combined, gently fold in blueberries (I like to use frozen blueberries-this helps to keep them break breaking as your folding them in)
- In a cupcake pan, add batter (will be very thick, almost more like a dough). Fill about 3/4 of the way full
- In a small bowl, combine rolled oats, one stick of butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Add brown sugar topping to each mini coffee cake.
- Cooke for 20 minutes or until golden brown fat 350 degrees.
Chicken Sausage Quiche
-Pie crust (pre-made or homemade)
-3 Chicken sausage links of your choice (I like to use the Sweet Apple from Trader Joes-it has a sweet, maple flavor to it)
-3/4 cup of milk or heavy cream
-1/3 cup of chopped onion
1/3 cup of chopped green pepper
-2 cups of spinach
-1.5 cups of Colby Jack Cheese (or whatever your preferred cheese is)
-1 tsp of garlic
-1/2 tsp of salt and pepper
-Heat your oven to 375 and pre-bake your pie crust. Bake for at least 10 minutes or until slightly golden.
-Cut up your chicken sausage into small, bite size pieces.
-On medium-high heat, cook your sausage until cooked through (should only take a few minutes)
-In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, and seasonings.
-Add in veggies and combine
-Add sausage and cheese combine
-Pour mix into pie crust and bake for at least 15 minutes.